PTI has shared a comprehensive proposal to the Govt of Sindh of their proposals for solving the water crisis in Karachi
SHORT TERM and concrete plans for this summer (2016):
- Immediate repair of the water pumps = Rs 1 Billion
- Standby Electricity from Thatta / Gharo to be managed by Karachi Electric as loss of electricity results in wastage of water spilling into the Arabian sea
- 4 Km electricity line that needs repair Rs 4 Crore
- Closure of illegal water hydrants & tanker mafia (Rangers had closed Chakragoth hydrant, but the mafia opened another one at Lalabad which siphons off water coming to NA250 areas). Rangers to help do this throughout Karachi.
- Major illegal connections for factories estimated at 20 MGD must be closed.
- Education and efforts by the public for water conservation
MID TERM plan to be completed in two years:
- Purchase of four new water pumps for Dhabeji, each having a capacity of 25+MGD
- Construction of water conduit from Haleji to Dhabeji which will add 69 MGD of water for Karachi
LONG TERM Plan within 5 years:
- Completion of K-4 for which Federal Government is committed to share 50% of the costs. This will ensure that Karachi gets about 1200 MGD of Water.
- Start re-cycling of water, to be used for other than domestic purposes
- Install Water Desalination plants
Do you like this post?